Saturday, May 19, 2007

Culturin' myself up

Blogging regularly is hard and I suck at it. I always feel like I should provide some reason as to why I haven't written, especially since classes are over and I technically have more time to do things I want to do. Hmmm. Maybe that's the key. Maybe I don't want to blog regularly. I'll have to think about that.

We're well into "pretty blue square" season here at Saturday Sky. I'll try to catch clouds occasionally, but maybe I should wait for the occasional sunset.



Yesterday, while waiting for part of my experiment, and inspired by Becky's recent trip, I bopped over to Marquette's Haggerty Museum of Art and looked around.


There is some nice outdoor sculpture:



I couldn't use a flash indoors, so most of my pictures are blurry. These are the best. There's a portrait hall:


We have a Salvador Dali! Awesome!


This one is titled "Unicorn Cadaver" (I lurve it!!!):


These are actual US one dollar bills that have been elaborately embroidered:


The special exhibit right now showcases Japanese prints:



The collection was larger than I had thought it would be. I was only there for about an hour and I will definitely be back and often. Admission is always free, not just for Marquette students, but for everyone. Gotta love that.

_____

3 comments:

Becky G said...

That looks like a great museum. I could spend days in a place like that.

BTW, you have been tagged...See my blog for details.

Anonymous said...

There was a place like this at Mizzou- but smaller and not as cool. I loved it- it made me feel very, very smart and cultured.

Was the pun intentional, by the way? Cultured while your experiment was brewing in the culture- get it?

YarnThrower said...

I know what you mean about trying to blog regularly..... I go through stretches in which I even wonder "what's the point?", though I also feel as though I "belong" to the "community" by blogging, so I remind myself how I really enjoy that aspect of it. Anyway, glad you're taking time to enjoy some of the things Marquette has to offer outside of the labs!