Wednesday, April 25, 2007

So random it's not even funny

  • So, I think maybe Dan Reeves is driving a bus in Milwaukee.

  • Range of motion is slowly improving in my shoulder, but the still hurts like the dickens. Okay, so, lately this phrase has been driving me crazy. Well, there are two of them: "...hurts like the dickens" and "...scare the dickens out of...". I want to know where these phrases came from and if they have anything to do with Charles Dickens. Because if someone could literally find a way to actually scare the Dickens out of me, I'd be eternally grateful. 'Cause, frankly, I could use those brain cells for other things. (Except for the BBC adaptation of Bleak House, that totally rocked. Probably because if was bereft of all Dickens prose save dialogue. Watch it if you can. Come for the Gillian Anderson, stay for the Wedge!!!!)

    Okay, I just looked it up on this here innernets. Apparently it has nothing to do with Charles Dickens, but "dickens" was a word for the devil and the phrase has been in use since before Shakespeare. Darn. Scaring the devil out of me would not be nearly as useful. Can you tell I'm not a fan? Oh well.

  • Recycling and art are cool.

  • Man, I hate it when I speak too soon.

  • And, finally, if your town was left out of the Artoo mailbox extravaganza, you can make your very own. Well, even if there is one in your city, say, right on your campus near the building you live work, you can still make your own... army of R2 mailboxes!!! Bwahahahahaha!!!


_____

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It would be more interesting if Charles Dickens were the one that those sayings referred too. They date back to days of stupourstition when people thought that to say the name of the devil could invoke him to appear.

YarnThrower said...

I saw an artoo mailbox in Madison just a week ago! Very cool! Those sheep are pretty cool, too! I can't imagine where people get ideas like that, but I can appreciate them!